Looking for a great gift idea for the dog lover in your life? You’ve come to the right place. Here at Beast & Buckle, we’re pretty obsessed with our canine companions (and all dogs, really). We love spoiling them with toys and treats, celebrating their birthdays (or “gotcha days”), giving them weird nicknames — you get the idea. As avid dog lovers ourselves, we think we have a good idea about which types of gifts pup parents actually want to receive.
Ahead, you’ll find a range of awesome gifts for dog lovers, from cool dog leashes and collars to unforgettable experiences they’ll cherish forever. Whether it’s a birthday, the holidays or just because, the dog lover in your life is bound to appreciate one of these gifts. Don’t forget to treat yourself and your pup to a little something, too!
Gifts for Dog Lovers Who Love Spoiling Their Dog
To a non-dog person, giving a gift that’s meant solely for a friend’s dog (as opposed to a gift for them) might seem a little strange. But most dog owners will agree — if it makes our pup happy, keeps them busy or makes them look ridiculously cute, we’re generally all for it! Here are a few dog-centric gift ideas that promise to get tails wagging.
- Treat Dispensing Dog Toy: Treat dispensing dog toys offer many health benefits for our furry friends, from easing stress relief to alleviating boredom. If your friend has a dog that practically inhales their food (we see you, beagle owners), treat dispensers can also go a long way in helping to slow down their eating for safer and more satisfying mealtimes. Try a treat-dispensing ball toy that lights up when their pup knocks it around or go for a durable rubber toy that’s perfect for hiding smelling treats!
- Dog Bandana: If you’re a fellow pup parent, then you know that there’s no such thing as having too many dog bandanas. Perfect for everyday wear and special occasions alike, dog bandanas instantly elevate your pup’s style and look good on every breed, from tiny chihuahuas to big and muscular mastiffs. Treat their pooch to a cute bandana in a seasonal design or opt for a classic pattern their pup can rock year-round.
- Dog Hoodie: Cold weather isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, which means the dog lover in your life still has plenty of opportunities to dress their canine companion up in an adorable dog hoodie. Our suggestion? Skip the plain dog hoodies in boring colors and pick one in a fun pattern or print instead. Beast & Buckle has a wide selection of high-quality dog hoodies in unique designs to help their pup strut their scruff in style!
- Glow-in-the-Dark Toys: Playing with your dog at nighttime is all fun and games until you accidentally lose their toy and end up spending the next half an hour looking for it in the dark. With a set of glow-in-the-dark toys, you can maximize their play sessions and keep the fun going well into the night. Do they prefer to take their dog on late-night strolls? Consider lighting up their walks with a glow-in-the-dark dog harness or leash.
- Dog Collar, Leash and Harness Bundle: If the dog lover in your life is anything like us, they’ll fall head-over-heels in love with our cute dog harnesses, leashes and collars. Our high-quality dog accessories are made from premium materials and come in a range of stylish designs that reflect you and your pup’s personality. Shop our bundles collection and get everything they need in one convenient package!
Homemade Gifts for Dog Lovers
Unleash your creativity with a DIY dog gift idea or hire a professional to create a one-of-a-kind gift for your friend. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Homemade Dog Treats: Are you a whiz in the kitchen? Consider making homemade dog biscuits. These peanut butter dog treats from The Cookie Rookie are easy to make and look adorable thanks to the cute dog bone-shaped cookie cutter. Before you make them, be sure to check with the owner to see if their dog has any food allergies!
- DIY Dog Gift Basket: A DIY dog gift basket is the perfect gift for new dog owners. All you need to do is buy a cute basket (bonus points if it’s personalized with the dog’s name) and fill it with a bunch of must-have dog essentials, like chew toys, training treats, a dog leash and a stylish dog poop bag holder.
- DIY Dog Balm: There’s nothing cuter than seeing a dog get the zoomies in the snow. Unfortunately, cold weather and icy conditions can be brutal on our pup’s paws. With this homemade dog balm recipe, you can keep those paws moisturized all winter long.
- Personalized Dog Dish: Is their pup still eating out of a generic dog bowl? Give their mealtimes a much-needed makeover by personalizing a dog bowl with their pooch’s name on it. You can do this using Sharpie markers, vinyl letters, non-toxic paint — the possibilities are endless!
- DIY Dog Bow Tie: Sure, you could buy a cute dog bow tie from a talented artist on Etsy, but why not try your hand at making your own? With this DIY dog bow tie tutorial from The Canine Story, you can choose your own fabric and create a one-of-a-kind dog accessory the recipient is sure to love.
Keepsake Gifts for Dog Lovers
Dog toys and treats might make for fun gifts, but they won’t stand the test of time. If you’re looking for a gift that the pup parent in your life will treasure forever, look no further than these adorable keepsake gifts.
- Custom Pet Portrait: Want to make your dog-loving friend’s heart melt into a big pile of goo? Have an artist recreate a favorite photo of their beloved pooch into a beautiful, customized pet portrait. Whether it’s a watercolor painting, a black and white drawing or cartoon art, your loved one is guaranteed to “aww” at the sight of their pet’s portrait.
- Dog Photo Locket: Dog photo lockets are always a precious gift idea for people who love their dogs more than anything in the world. All you need to do is snag a cute picture of their pooch from their pet’s Instagram account, stick it inside a heart-shaped locket and voila! A beautiful gift they’ll cherish forever.
- Custom Crochet Pet: Has your friend ever pined for their dog when they’re at work or on vacation? If so, this is the gift for them. Many Etsy artists will make a crocheted version of your dog that you can cuddle and carry around with you everywhere. Sure, it may not be as cute as the real thing, but it comes in a close second!
- Pet Paw Ornament: Step one: offer to pet-sit your friend’s dog while they’re on vacation or running errands. Step two: make a salt dough paw print ornament using their pup’s paw. Step three: enjoy the look of surprise and joy on your friend’s face as they open your gift and hang it on the tree.
- Custom Pet Fleece Blanket: Does your friend love snuggling with their pup on the couch? Consider getting them a custom fleece blanket that perfectly captures the unbreakable bond they have with their fur-child. Make your own pet photo blanket at Shutterfly or check out Etsy for a wide selection of custom blankets for pets.
Non-Material Gifts for Dog Lovers
Shopping for someone who is constantly buying the latest and greatest dog toys, treats and accessories for their pooch? In that case, you may want to give a non-material gift that doesn’t add to their growing pile of “stuff.” Here are a few non-material gifts for dog lovers that are bound to be a huge hit.
- A Dog-Friendly Getaway: Can’t bear the thought of being away from your canine companion for more than 24 hours? Plan a dog-friendly getaway and explore the world with your furry friend. Check out bringfido.com to begin planning your next trip around pet-friendly hotels, restaurants, activities and more.
- Donation to a Shelter/Cause: Every dog owner wishes they could open their doors up to every good boy and girl in need of a loving home, but with tens of millions of homeless pets struggling to survive in America, that’s unrealistic. Perhaps you can give them the next best thing by donating to an animal charity or shelter on their behalf. Don’t have the money to donate? Consider donating your time instead.
- Dog Agility Class: Do they have a high-energy dog breed, like an Australian Shepherd or a Jack Russell Terrier? Give them a gift certificate to a dog agility class. In addition to providing an outlet for all that energy, agility classes can help build a dog’s confidence and teach them self-control. Plus, it’s tons of fun! Watching your dog make their way through tunnels, seesaws and hurdles at top speed is just plain cool.
- Dog Photography Session: Dogs are part of the family, and they deserve to be included in our family photo walls. So, why not give a gift certificate for a professional pet photography session? Professional pet photographers have lots of experience taking eye-catching photos that showcase a dog’s unique features and personality. Throw in a high-quality picture frame or two, and you’ll have a gift that is sure to put a smile on any dog owner’s face.
- Dog DNA Test: Do they have a rescue pup? If so, a dog DNA kit would be a cool gift for dog lovers. All they need to do is swab their dog’s cheeks and mail the sample to the company. When the results come back, they’ll find out all sorts of fun information about their dog’s ancestry, traits and more.
More of Our Favorite Go-To Gifts for Dog Lovers
Still searching for the perfect gift for your dog-loving pals? We’ve got you! Here are a few more gift ideas for people who are crazy about their canines.
- Breed-Specific Gifts: If the dog lover in your life is obsessed with a specific dog breed, why not surprise them with a breed-specific gift? This could be anything from a Corgi wine stopper to a French Bulldog harness that fits their little Frenchie to a T. Whether they’re a massive Beagle fan or a long-time Greyhound enthusiast, they’ll be tickled pink to receive a gift that shows off their favorite breed.
- Dog Rear Seat Cover: Shopping for someone who loves to hit the open road with their trusty hound? Gift them the gift of cleaner car seats with a dog rear seat cover. Perfect for road trips or visits to the dog park, car seat covers are a lifesaver for dog owners who also appreciate a clean vehicle. The best dog car seat covers are designed to form a hammock that keeps your dog safe and secure during rides and have openings for dog seat belts (safety first!).
- Snuffle Nose Work Dog Mat: Most dog owners can relate to the struggle of keeping a bored dog mentally stimulated on a rainy day. With a snuffle nose dog mat, your fellow dog owners can keep their pups happily preoccupied by stimulating their most powerful sense — their nose. All they need to do is hide a few treats within the mat, stand aside and let their dog’s natural foraging instincts take over. This activity is hugely rewarding for dogs, not to mention their owners.
- Dog-Themed Tote Bag: You can never have too many cotton canvas tote bags, especially ones that show off your dog lover status. They’re perfect for grocery shopping, running errands, carrying around dog gear — you name it. If you want to go the extra mile with your gift, consider getting it personalized with their pup’s name and adorable little face.
- Matching Human and Dog Outfits: Parents buy matching outfits for themselves and their kids all the time. Why can’t dog owners do the same with their canine pals? From matching hoodies to coordinated accessories, there is no shortage of fun outfits for people and their pups.
Spoil the Dog Lover in Your Life with Beast & Buckle
If you’re searching for a gift that makes tails wag, we’ve got you covered. Whether they’re a long-time dog owner or recently adopted a new furry friend, these gifts are sure to be a huge hit with your dog-loving pals.
Need more gift ideas for dog lovers? Check out our amazing selection of dog accessories to find a gift that is sure to get tails wagging!
Happy Pets Photography/Shutterstock.com